WASHINGTON - Gallaudet University is one of four teams left in Helmet Bowl III presented by Helmet Tracker. The Bison are the No. 2 seed in the South Region and are going up against Nebraska Kearney Lopers, the No. 11 seed in the West Region, in the semifinal round. The winner will advance to the championship round of the national tournament to find the best football helmet in the country.
People can vote by logging onto www.helmetbowl.com or via this direct link: https://helmettracker.com/helmet-bowl-iii-national-championship/.
Fans are encouraged to use all of their devices and browsers to vote, no need to login, until the polls close on Monday, Jan. 7, at 1 p.m. (EST).
Gallaudet's helmet won its conference (Eastern Collegiate Football Conference) for a third straight year and was seeded second in the South Region. In the first round, GU dispatched No. 15 seed Austin College Kangaroos (61 percent to 39 percent). In the second round, Gallaudet took down No. 9 seed Ole Miss from the Southeastern Conference (SEC) by the margin of 56 percent to 44 percent. In the third round, GU defeated No. 4 seed University of Richmond by the tally of 52 percent to 48 percent. In the quarterfinal round, Gallaudet topped St. Thomas University (Fla.) by the margin of 51 percent to 49 percent.
Gallaudet won Helmet Bowl I, two years ago, and reached the "Sweet 16" round last year before losing to Lafayette College. Dickinson College (NCAA Division III) won Helmet Bowl II last year.
The Red Devils of Dickinson, the No. 1 seed in the East Region, are in the other national semifinal going up against University of Louisville, the No. 5 seed in the North Region. A Dickinson and Gallaudet victory in the semifinal would pit the first two Helmet Bowl national champions against each other.
Fans can vote daily from all of their devices here: https://helmettracker.com/helmet-bowl-iii-national-championship/.
- GU is one of two Division III schools left in the tournament, Dickinson is the other
- The Bison only won by over 50 votes over St. Thomas
- You don't need to vote on every match up
- There are two more rounds before Helmet Bowl III crowns its champion
- GU is behind, early on, in the semifinal voting against the Lopers, who received the most votes in the quarterfinal round
- Gallaudet was the second-leading vote-getter between the Final Four teams as it only trailed Nebraska Kearney by 333 votes
- Dickinson was 18 votes behind Gallaudet's final total from the quarterfinal round