WASHINGTON - The victories keep coming for the Gallaudet University men's basketball team as they defeated Wilson College, 88-68, here Tuesday night in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) game before 467 in the Field House.
The Bison (14-3, 12-0 NEAC) had the hot hand in the first half, which allowed them to jump out to an early lead over the Phoenix (4-12, 4-8 NEAC). At the end of the first half, three of Gallaudet's starting five had already reached double digits as the Bison converted on 18 of 32 shots to take a 41-29 lead into the locker room.
In the second half, Gallaudet remained in the zone. The Bison hit 17 of 32 shots from the field and were 4-for-10 from behind the arc. With 5:47 remaining in regulation, freshman guard Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) nailed a 3-pointer to give the Bison a 20-point lead, their largest of the game. Although the Phoenix fought back, the 20-point deficit proved to be too much as the Bison stampeded to victory.
Valencia had the hot hand for Gallaudet throughout the game as he went 7 of 12 from behind the 3-point line and racked up 27 points at the end of the night. Valencia added four steals, three rebounds and three assists.
Senior center Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N.J.) went 8-for-11 from the field for 16 points including some monstrous dunks. McGriff ripped down five rebounds and made two blocks.
Junior forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) dropped 13 points, collected eight rebounds and dished out six assists.
Wilson's Keion Adams and Ian Frazier were the top scorers for the Phoenix. Adams had 19 points, three rebounds and two assists while Frazier had 16 points, five rebounds and two blocks.
- Senior guard Raymond Nelson (Riverside, Calif.) scored 12 points, dished out a game-high seven assists and brought down four rebounds
- Freshman center Connor Henze (Elk Point, S.D.) came off the bench and scored a career-high nine points and picked up four rebounds
- Sophomore guard Derek Keels (San Diego, Calif.) recorded a career-high seven steals and five assists while he poured in five points and two rebounds
- This is the third time this season Valencia has made seven 3-pointers in a game
- The Bison combined for a season-high 28 assists
- Gallaudet dominated the paint as it outscored Wilson, 54-28
- GU out-rebounded Wilson 43-39
- The Bison received 18 points from their bench
The Bison will fight to remain undefeated in NEAC play when they travel to Cazenovia, N.Y., on Saturday, Jan. 28, to take on Cazenovia College at 3 p.m.