WASHINGTON - Gallaudet University was shut out for the first time this men's soccer season on Wednesday night at Hotchkiss Field as Eastern Mennonite University won the non-conference game, 3-0.
Gallaudet (0-5-1) continues to search for its first win of the 2019 season. The Bison had several scoring chances in the game but only placed three of their nine shots on goal against Royals goalie Ahmed Zaatar (three saves).
EMU (3-5) snapped its four-game losing streak with the victory. The Royals scored four minutes into the game when Caleb Oakes knocked in a loose-ball rebound past GU goalie Shane Angel (Mechanicsville, Md.). The 1-0 margin held up through halftime and into the second half.
The Royals added two more goals in an 11-minute span. Gallaudet got whistled for a foul in its goalie box to give EMU a penalty kick that was converted by Troy Davis at the 59:33 mark. The visitors completed their scoring in the 71st minute when Austen Smith crossed in a pass from the right corner towards the net as Leiyan Kariuki headed home the goal.
- EMU outshot Gallaudet 21-9
- Sophomore forward Chad Johnson (Gardena, Calif.) led GU with five shots (two on goal)
- The Royals held a 10-3 edge in corner kicks
- EMU was offsides nine times
- Angel finished with seven saves
- This is the third straight year these two teams have faced each other
- EMU has won the last three meetings by a combined score of 14-1
- GU is now 0-2-1 at home this season
- Gallaudet was last shut out last season on Oct. 26 against Marymount (Va.), 1-0
Gallaudet (0-1 NEAC) will hit the road and travel to Penn College (0-5, 0-1 NEAC) for a conference game this Saturday, Sept. 21, at 1 p.m.