GETTYSBURG, Pa. - The Gallaudet University women's volleyball team had to wait two extra days to get its 2021 season underway but the wait was worth it after the Bison split the first two matches here Friday at the Battlefield Classic hosted by Gettysburg College.
This was the first volleyball action for Gallaudet since the 2019 season and after the COVID-19 pandemic wiped out end of the 2020 and 2020-21 seasons. It has been 680 days between Gallaudet women's volleyball victories and the first GU athletic win since March 8, 2020, (softball) a span of 545 days.
Gallaudet (1-1) had a tough match against the host Bullets from Gettysburg (2-0) to begin the afternoon with a 3-1 loss (19-25, 22-25, 25-23, 12-25). The opening match lasted over two hours before the Bison had to turn around and face Montclair State University in another marathon match.
GU dropped the first set, 22-25, and the second set, 14-25, to the Red Hawks before the Bison regrouped and rallied to win the next three sets to complete the comeback with a thrilling, 3-2 victory (22-25, 14-25, 25-20, 25-17, 16-14).
- Senior outside hitter Karita Lewis (Frederick, Md.) compiled 31 kills, 17 digs, four service aces in the two matches
- Lewis had a team and season-high 18 kills and 10 digs against Montclair St. to notch the double-double
- Senior opposite Elina Rubinshteyn (Austin, Texas) tallied 14 kills against Montclair St.
- Sophomore opposite Emily Wright (Auburn, Calif.) had a strong debut for the Bison with 23 kills and five blocks
- Sophomore setter Emma Giuntoli (Austin, Texas) returned to pass out 71 assists in nine sets and served up six aces
- Junior libero Mia Upchurch (Austin, Texas) compiled 31 digs and three service aces
- Freshman middle hitter Jayne Taylor (Austin, Texas) made four of her five blocks against the Red Hawks (0-2)
- Freshman middle hitter Anya Pothorski (Indianapolis, Ind.) came through with four blocks in her debut in the buff and blue
Gallaudet will face Dickinson College (2-0) and Rowan University (1-1) tomorrow (Saturday, Sept. 4) at 10 a.m. and noon, respectively, on the second and final day of the Battlefield Classic.